On Feb. 9, 1993, the debut album by five guys from Omaha who'd moved to Los Angeles was released. 311's mix of rock, rap and reggae on Music proved to be intoxicating to their new fan base.
The album features singer Nick Hexum, rapper S.A. Martinez, guitarist Tim Mahoney, bassist P-Nut and drummer Chad Sexton. Six songs in, the dense crunch of "Hydroponic" ("Did it because we toke up…") is followed by the mellow funk jam, "My Stoney Baby." Both remain staples in 311's repertoire, along with "Who's Got the Herb," recorded for Hempilation: Freedom Is NORML.
Twenty-five decades later, 311 remain intact (no personnel changes), a rarity for bands of any era.
Here are nine more seminal albums from 1993:
• Black Sunday - Cypress Hill
• Doggystyle - Snoop Dogg
• Enter the W-Tang (36 Chambers) - Wu-Tang Clan
• In Utero - Nirvana
• Vs. - Pearl Jam
• Siamese Dream - Smashing Pumpkins
• Tuesday Night Music Club - Sheryl Crow
• A Storm in Heaven - The Verve
• Last Splash - The Breeders