SZA is on a hemp hiatus.
The Grammy-winning R&B singer tweeted Feb. 13:
"Today officially makes a year + I haven't smoked weed. don't miss it at all .. never thought I'd say that."
Today officially makes a year + I haven’t smoked weed. don’t miss it at all .. never thought I’d say that .— SZA (@sza) February 13, 2023
SZA is riding high on the success of her 2022 album SOS, which has been been No. 1 on Billboard's Top 200 for nine nonconsecutive weeks (Adele was the last female artist to accomplish that feat in 2016). The Grammy was for her supporting role on Doja Cat's "Kiss Me Now" in the Best Duo/Group Performance category in 2022. SZA's current single "Kill Bill" hit No. 2.
Born in St. Louis, MO, SZA (nee Solána Imani Rowe), pronounced like RZA, was raised in Maplewood, NJ. Her career dates back to the early 2010's. In 2017, SZA signed with RCA Records and has since dropped two Top 5 albums, Ctrl (No. 3) in 2017 and the No. 1 SOS.
RELATED: In 2017, Miley Cyrius Took a Weed Break
SZA's Edibles Story
Back in 2018, SZA tweeted a story (picked up by Complex) about having an adverse reaction after eating an infused brownie while working at Diesel, and then getting fired. It's unclear what year this happened.
1. "I walk into work and shorty has a full container of brownies she brought from home. Fresh hot .. seems normal."
2. "She opens em in the break room and everyone starts crowding like ooooo aaahh .. She DONT SAY NUFFIN BOUT NO DRUGS."
3. "Everyone takes one .. mind u I'm new here ..nobody's eating the whole thing but MY hungry ass eats TWO like mmmm ya free BREAKFASS !!..30 mins pass/"
4. "I start to sweat .. I'm looking at n***** across the sales floor they laughing and shit.. I'm like wow I gotta boo boo I'm nauseous ..mind you I ain't even KNOW...10 more mins pass."
5. "Long story short I’m the only one coming out of their actual skin looking like I ATE meth . I get called to the office I don’t know why this is happening I tell her I need a doctor. She fires me . I spend the rest of the day in a Mexican restaurant searching for answers #SETUP"
6. And finnaly: "They fired me over a weed brownie conspiracy."
I forgot Deisel too they fired me over a weed brownie conspiracy ... conspiracy https://t.co/ZEfbyzz9wo— SZA (@sza) August 26, 2018
Bill Maher once commented on Real Time: "I personally don't eat it because it makes me paranoid."