Celebrity drug arrests have declined significantly over the years with the rise of legalization in states throughout the U.S. From a high of 66 such busts in 2011, the number is now in the teens. There were 14 celeb drug busts in 2023.
• Bryson Bryant: The son of reality-TV star Nene Leakes was arrested and charged with felony possession of fentanyl and a misdemeanor for loitering/prowling in Atlanta on July 3. He's expected to be released from jail in January.
• Abdul Carter: The Penn State University linebacker was arrested and charged with misdemeanor marijuana possession on August 8 in Johnstown, PA. Police came to Carter's dorm room responding to a fire alarm activated by the smoke. He had a preliminary hearing in October.
• Paul Cauthen: The country singer, best known for his high tune "Cocaine Country Dancing," was arrested and charged with possession of a Schedule I controlled substance (marijuana), as well as manufacturing and possession of controlled substances with the intent to distribute in Schedule I, II and III on May 18 in Isle of Palms, SC. The case has not yet been resolved.
• El DeBarge: The R&B singer was arrested and charged with possession of a controlled substance (heroin), possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of a leaded cane or baton on January 8 in Burbank, CA. He's had numerous previous arrests and served 13 months in jail on drug charges in 2008-2009.
• Rashaan Evans: The Dallas Cowboys linebacker was arrested for possession of marijuana (2-4 oz.) on Dec. 27 in Frisco, TX. It's unclear what led to the arrest. The Cowboys subsequently released the Alabama grad.
• Lorenzo Gardner: The Mondessen HS basketball star was arrested and charged with drug possession with intent to deliver, drug possession, possession of drug paraphernalia, criminal trespass and criminal mischief on August 27 in Pennslyvania. He and several friends were caught smoking pot in an abandoned house.
• G Herbo: Despite being in a vehicle with more than 10 ounces of weed, the Chicago rapper was not charged for the cannabis during a traffic stop in the Windy City on July 8, However, he was arrested for having a handgun.
• Gigi Hadid: The most popular celebrity to be busted this year for marjjuana, the model was caught at the airport on Grand Cayman Island with an undisclosed amount, plus paraphernalia, which she paid a $1,000 fine for on July 10. Her rep explained: "Gigi was travelling with marijuana that she purchased legally from NYC. She enjoyed the rest of her time on the island."
• Derion Kendrick: The Los Angeles Rams cornerback was arrested and charged with carrying a concealed weapon after a traffic stop in L.A. on October 16. He also had cannabis in the vehicle, but was not charged for that.
• Kodak Black: The oft-arrested rapper was busted and charged with possession of cocaine, tampering with or fabricating physical evidence and improperly parking or stopping a vehicle in Plantation, FL on December 7. Black (nee Bill Capri) was found parked and asleep at the wheel. He has a long rap sheet of arrests dating back to 2015.
• Dontrell Jackson: The Coastal Carolina QB was arrested and charged with simple possession of marijuana, carrying or displaying firearms and sale or delivery of a pistol on March 22 in Conway, SC. Police entered his dorm room with a warrant and found a handgun and smelled marijuana. An ounce was confiscated. Jackson was suspended by the school.
• Gerald Mincey: The University of Tennessee offensive lineman was arrested and charged with misdemeanor simple possession of marijuana during a traffic stop on September 14 in Knoxville. He possessed eight grams of weed.
• Tony Mitchell: The University of Alabama defensive back was arrested and charged with possession of more than 20 grams of marijuana on March 24 in Alabama. He led police on a high-speed chase before surrendering. In May, Mitchell pled guilty and was sentenced to three years of probation with a fine and community service.
• Liv Morgan: The professional wrestler (nee Gianna Daddio) was arrested and charged with possession of synthetic cannabinoid and possession of cannabis (20 grams or less) after a traffic stop on December 14 in Sumper Country, FL. Poiice smelled cannabis; a search of the vehicle produced a bag of flower and a vape pen. She was releaased on a $3,000 bond.
• Darius Rucker: The Hootie & the Blowfish frontman was arrested during a traffic stop in Franklin, TN on February 19. Conducting a search of the vehicle, police found a vape pen, blunt and 14 mushroom capsules. On December 11, he was charged with simple possession, casual exchange and violation of registration law. Rucker turned himself in on Feb. 1, 2024.
• Bill Skarsgård: The Swedish actor was arrested in Stockholm in October for possessing 2.43 grams of cannabis at Arlanda Airport. On Feb. 15, 2024, he pleaded guilty and received a fine in the amount of $3,825. Skarsgård has appeared im such movies as It, Allegiant and Atomic Blonde.
• Tammy Slaton: The reality-TV star of 1,000-Lb Sisters was arrested and charged with possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia on August 30 at her home in Dixon, KY. Police responded to a complaint on August 4.
• Sam Williams: The Dallas Cowboys defensive lineman was arrested and charged with possession of a controlled substance (marijuana) and the unlawful carrying of a weapon on August 20 in Frisco, TX. He possessed less than one gram of weed.
See previous annual celebrity bust totals here.
More 2023 Year-in-Review Links