Despite a steady rain, New Yorkers marched and huddled together in Union Square Park for the annual NYC Cannabis Parade & Rally on Saturday, May 7.
Here are seven highlights from the soggy day:
1. Returrn of the 51-Foot Inflatable Joint
It wasn't easy carrying the huge joint balloon in the rain, but the participants managed to not bogart it.
2. Return of Sen. Chuck Schumer, Plus Rep. Jerry Nadler
The heavyweight Congress members spoke back to back with Schumer eventually passing the mic to Nadler. Schumer also attended in 2021.
3. Return of Redman and Jumanne Williams, Plus Sephida Artis-Mills
Redman led a delegation of National Cannabis Party reps, including his sister, Artis-Mills. A longtime supporter of the event, Redman handed the mic to NYC Public Advocate and Democratic Gubernatorial candidate Jumaane Williams, who previously spoke at the rallies in 2018 and 2019.
4. Return of Shinnecock Nation, Plus Mohawk Nation
Dressed in a colorful outfit, Chenae Bullock represented the Shinnecock Nation based in Southampton, NY. She was joined by Roger Jock Mohawk and others.
5. Return of Asseembly Member Richard "Dick" Gottfried
The longest standing member of the New York State Assembly, Gottfied is retiring at the end of this year. Event organizers gave him a Lifetime Achievement Award for his efforts to decriminalize, medicalize and finally legalize cannabis in the Empire State.
6. Return of Chris Alexander
The last time he spoke at the rally, Alexander worked at the Drug Policy Alliance. Now he's executive director of the state's Office of Cannabis Management.
7. Cannabis Giveaway
Other Key Moments
• David Bronner
• The Joints Cheefs performed after three tries
• Imani Dawson
• Java Jel covered Buzzy Linhart's "Friends"
• The David Peel Tribute Band played "I Like Marijuana"
• Aron Kay