The 2013 NFL season began with 13 of its players on the sidelines for violating the league's strict substance-abuse policy. Most of the suspended players likely failed drugs test for pot. Others were arrested for marijuana. Several will sit out for using banned prescription medicine.
The Unlucky 13 are:
• Von Miller, Broncos LB, 6 games, on appeal
• Daryl Washington, Cardinals Pro-Bowl LB, 4 games, failed test in April
• Will Hill, Giants S, 4 games
• LaVon Brazill, Colts WR, 4 games
• Mike Goodson, Jets RB, 4 games, busted for pot in May
• Justin Blackmon, Jaguars WR, 4 games, busted for DUI in 2012; suspended for rest of season on Nov. 1 after failing a drug test
• Rob Jackson, Redskins LB, 4 games, failed test for pain med
• Christian Thompson, Ravens S, 4 games
• Jerome Felton, Vikings RB, 3 games, busted for DUI in 2012
• Josh Gordon, Browns WR, 2 games, codeine
• Demarcus Dobbs, 49ers DL, 1 game, busted for marijuana/DUI in November
• Isaiah Pead, Rams RB, 1 game
• Rokevious Watkins, Rams OL, 1 game
The MPP has called for the NFL to stop "punishing players for using marijuana."